Welcome to OKKAM - Enabling the Web of Entities
Mar 21, 2011 12:47 PM
OKKAM, a Large Scale Integrating Project co-funded by the European Commission (GA 215032), ran from January 2008 to June 2010.
|A web-scale open service called Entity Name System (ENS) for supporting the systematic reuse of identifiers for "things". Read more...
The OKKAM Consortium
"Entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity" [Ockham's razor, XIV century]
"Entity identifiers should not be multiplied beyond necessity" [OKKAM's razor, XXI century]
|What can you do with OKKAM?
- Annotate your content through the plugins of several OKKAM-empowered tools (see our testubes).
- Use our APIs to get and create globally shared IDs with your applications.
and find out more about our 7.5 million entity repository!
Please join us on our OKKAM Community Portal and become part of the fun!
- University of Trento, Italy (Co-Ordinator) [team]
- L3S Research Center, Germany
- SAP Research, Germany
- Expert System, Italy
- Elsevier B.V., Netherlands
- Europe Unlimited SA, Belgium
- National Microelectronics Application Center (MAC), Ireland
- Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), Switzerland
- DERI Galway, Ireland
- University of Malaga, Spain
- INMARK, Spain
- Agenzia Nazionale Stampa Associata (ANSA), Italy
- ... identifiers have always been one of the cornerstones of information and knowledge management in computer-based systems
- ... a service like the ENS may improve the quality of content production in professional environments
- ... identifiers may improve the precision and recall of existing search engines
- ... a new generation of entity-centric search engines can use identfiers to change the rules of information retrieval
- ... a global service for managing identifiers will improve the quality of user-generated content on the Web2.0
- ... a shared ecosystem of identifers will make web-scale mash-ups much easier and faster
- ... for sure you know more reasons